Vino p.o. prn's Note:
This is my modified healthier variation of a wonderful recipe from Daisy Martinez as seen in "Every Day with Rachael Ray" magazine. The chorizo is so flavorful that you only need 2 links to make the dish tasty. The tofu takes on the flavors of the chorizo nicely. **I usually drain the tofu the night before and leave it in the refrigerator wrapped in a clean kitchen towel to absorb the excess moisture. Don't omit the lemon juice at the very end...it brings all the flavors together!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 links raw chorizo sausage (each approx 5 inches in length)
- 6 -8 ounces firm tofu, drained well, pat dry and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup white rice or 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup green peas or 1/2 cup edamame, shelled
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- lemon juice
- 1Heat a medium nonstick skillet over high heat and coat with cooking spray. Pour the egg substitute into the pan, swirling to coat the bottom, and let cook until set, about 2 minutes.
- 2Transfer the egg "tortilla" to a cutting board and roll up the egg "tortilla" and slice crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
- 3Remove chorizo from casing and break sausage into small pieces.
- 4In a large skillet over medium high heat and well coated with cooking spray, add the chorizo, tofu, onion and garlic and saute, until the onions are soft and chorizo is cooked.
- 5Add the white wine and let reduce then add cooked rice.
- 6Add the soy sauce gradually according to your tastes and the strength of the brand of soy sauce. You may not need the entire 1/4 cup.
- 7Add the green peas or edamame.
- 8Cook until heated through. Stir in the egg strips and top with cilantro and season with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of lemon juice to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Latin-Style Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.8
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 26.7 mg
- Sodium 1442.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 20.8 g