Recipe by Helenic Hottie
These beans over rice are a staple in my home. They are full of flavor and are super easy to make.
Top Review by HotPepperRosemaryJelly
These were quite good! Had them with Huervo Ranchero's as a side for breakfast this morning. Kinda a late breakfast so I don't have to make lunch!! :) Pretty slick eh? I highly recommend them as a side for burritoes too! Which I will do as I have plenty even by cutting the recipe in half! Also, I used chili peppers in place of the bells. I didn't add any sugar and thought they were still good! Thank you!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans canned black beans (undrained)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 green bell pepper (diced, I put all following veggies in the food processor so the kids don't mind)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 sazon goya con culantro y achiote (in the Latin aisle of your local grocer)
- 1 dash oregano (to taste)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat oil over Med/Hi heat.
- add your garlic, onion and green bell pepper (we call this sofrito) and saute until tender.
- add your beans(liquid from beans as well), 2 pks of sazon, oregano, water and sugar.
- stir it all up and increase heat to High.
- once boiling, lower heat to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- add cap of vinegar and stir up
- serve over rice