Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
This salad is great for a dinner party as the flavours are wonderful plus it looks amazing.
- 6 spring onions, trimmed
- 140 g runner beans
- 3 slices bread, cubed (olive if you can get it)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (10 g) butter
- 2 medium courgettes
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- 85 g Baby Spinach, washed and trimmed from stems
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 9 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red peppers, 5mm dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caster sugar
- Fry the shallot and garlic in 4tbsp of the olive oil - do not let them colour. Add the peppers, bay leaf and thyme and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the sugar and the rest of the oil decant into a jug and leave to infuse until needed.
- Shred the spring onions and place in a bowl if iced water to curl them.
- Slice the runner beans into long strips and cook the beans in salted water until just softened drain and cool.
- Fry the bread in 4 tbsp of the oil until golden and crispy add a knob of butter and toss. Drain on kitchen paper and season well. (this can be done up to 2 hours in advance).
- Using a Y peeler peel the courgette lengthways to make strips.
- Heat the remaining olive oil and butter and stir fry the green peppers until just soft. Add the green beans and swirl empty into a bowl. and season.
- Scatter the courgettes, onion, basil, baby spinach and bread over the veg. Spoon over enough dressing to moisten and serve the rest separately. Dress with shaved parmesan if desired.