Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Tastes and smells like it was simmering on the stove all day, but ready in less than an hour. Can be doubled or tripled easily.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups canned Italian tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- hot pasta, to serve
- Heat oil in skillet. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until soft. Add meat. Cook until meat loses it raw color. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend tomatoes and tomato paste in food processor or blender.
- Add tomato mixture to meat, along with wine, red pepper flakes, sugar, basil, oregano, and rosemary. Cook, uncovered, over moderately low heat 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve over hot pasta.
This was so easy and so delicious. I added more fresh basil because i love it and deleted the crushed red pepper. What a great dinner!
This recipe was terrific and got rave reviews from my family. I added a rib of celery and one less garlic clove. I also added a small amount of freshly squeezed lemon to cut the tomato a little and left out the tomato paste. Delicious and the new standard for sauce in this household. Thanks!