Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had to come up with a last minute salad for a church function and had no time to get to the store to buy ingredients. Luckily, I had lots of fruit in the house and came up with this quick yet colorful and tasty salad. I feel almost silly sharing it, as it is really very easy, but I did get a recipe request and left with a nearly empty bowl. Cook time is actually chilling time.
- 3 -4 cups whole fresh strawberries, rinsed,dried,stems removed
- 4 kiwi fruits, unpeeled
- 2 (10 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained but reserve a few spoonfuls of juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained but reserve a few spoonfuls of juice
- 1 (10 ounce) jar red maraschino cherries, drained,stemmed & de-pitted
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- If you have an egg slicer,us this to slice your berries thinly, otherwise, use a knife to slice into very thin slices.
- Wash kiwfruit and pat dry.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice kiwi thinly- leaving the skin ON.
- Lay each slice of kiwi flat and use the knife point to cut a slit in the ring of skin left on each slice.
- The remaining skin should easily peel off (if it is stubborn, just trace along the outer edge of the slice with your knife)- you'll end up with nice even slices of kiwi.
- In a large decorative serving bowl,gently combine berries, kiwi slices, mandarin oranges, and pineapple chunks- don't stir too hard or you'll crush the fruit.
- Chop cherries and add to the bowl.
- Add just a couple of Tablespoons of each of the the reserved fruit canning juices to taste- not too much, just enough to moisten.
- Add the sugar and gently stir to combine.
- Cover& Chill at least 30 minutes.
- Can be made up to 3 hours in advance- but don't make too early or the fruit will get soggy.
This is a great fruit salad. I did everything as suggested (and what a coincidence.. I had everything on hand!!!) except I used fresh cherries instead of maraschino cherries...as Im not a huge fan of the maraschinos. The juices from each of the canned fruits really soak into the other fruits during chilling, and make for an excellent flavored fruit salad. I must admit that I prefer a fruit salad from all fresh fruits, but when Im in a rush, this is DEFINITELY a great fruit salad to throw together. The colors are wonderful together and make for a great presentation as well. Great fruit salad heather!!! (by the way, I didnt make the whole recipe, because 2 of us could NEVER finish 10-12 servings before it got soggy and rotten lol). I used less kiwi and strawberries, and used only parts of the canned fruits and reserved them for other recipes I plan to make tonight and tomorrow :-) I also used less sugar accordingly, and just used as many cherries as I saw fit. Great way to encourage me to use the fruits that are sitting in my cabinets! :-)
Refreshing fruit salad! I added some sliced bananas and fresh orange slices. I omitted the mandarin oranges since I didn't have any on hand. We topped this with cool whip and enjoyed it :) Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!