Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Every year I tell my family I'm going to buy a Christmas cake and every year they twist my arm up my back and I end up making this last-minute Christmas cake. I find it a little crumbly but with trad. decoration it can look great and it tastes just fine.....
- 575 g mixed dried fruit
- 225 g sultanas
- 225 g raisins
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of, grated
- 1 tablespoon black treacle
- 150 ml port wine or 150 ml sherry wine
- 125 g whole wheat flour
- 125 g plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 225 g butter
- 225 g dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 175 g glace cherries
- 25 g sliced almonds
- Put the mixed dried fruit, sultanas, rind and juice and treacle into a saucepan with the port and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat, cover and leave to get cold.
- Meanwhile, set the oven to 150C/300/gas mark 2 and line a 20cm/8 inch square tin or four 10cm/4 inch round tins with greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flours with the spices on to a plate.
- Cream the butter and sugar until very light, then alternately beat in the fruit, eggs and flour.
- Finally stir in the cherries and almonds.
- Spoon the mixture into the tins or tins, hollowing out the centre very slightly so that the surface will be flat.
- Bake the large cake for 2-3 hours and the small ones for 1 1/2 -1 3/4 hours, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin(s).