Recipe by COOKGIRl
From Bon Appetit March 2006. A French recipe from the Alsace-Lorraine region. French Country comfort food at its best! Try using a specialty onion grown in your area.
- 3 -4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons hazelnut oil or 2 teaspoons walnut oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 24 stalks asparagus, trimmed
Directions See How It's Made
- In saute pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. DO NOT burn! Transfer bacon strips to paper towel and drain.
- Once bacon is cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4" pieces.
- Pour off most of the bacon drippings except for 1 teaspoon. Add the bacon pieces and onion to the pan. Stir. Remove from heat.
- In non-reactive bowl, whisk the oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a pot of boiling, salted water cook the asparagus until crisp-tender, approximately 3 minutes. Drain asparagus and transfer to paper towel to drain some more.
- In the meantime, stir the bacon mixture over medium-low heat about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine the asparagus with the dressing in a mixing bowl. Toss to coat.
- Arrange the cooked asparagus on a serving platter and spoon the bacon/onion mixture on top.