Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
365 Ways to Cook Pasta
Top Review by Husker Fan
I really liked this! I am a cheese fan, although there is a few I could have less of though. I did decrease the amount of gorgonzola, and am glad I did. I think it would of been too overpowering for our tastebuds. Other than that left everything else the same. It was yummy! For the cheese lover for sure!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup seasoned defatted chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 lasagna noodles, preferably spinach
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 ounces sweet gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 ounces italian Fontina cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the bechamel sauce--melt the butter in a medium saucepan; add flour, stir over low heat until smooth and golden, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in milk; whisk over medium heat until smooth, about 5 minutes; add chicken broth; cook, whisking, until mixture boils and is thick and smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg; let stand, off heat, until ready to use.
- Cook lasagna noodles in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente, or firm to the bite, about 12 minutes; drain.
- Let noodles sit in a bowl of cool water until ready to use.
- Heat oven to 350°; spoon about 1/2 cup bechamel sauce into the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Lift the noodles from the water individually and blot dry on paper towels; arrange a slightly overlapping layer of 4 noodles on the bottom of the dish.
- In a bowl, stir the ricotta, parsley, 2 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste), the black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon of the remaining nutmeg until blended.
- Spread in a layer over the noodles.
- Arrange 4 more noodles in an overlapping layer over the ricotta.
- Sprinkle with the crumbled Gorgonzola and the shredded mozzarella.
- Top with remaining 4 lasagna noodles arranged in a slightly overlapping single layer.
- Arrange a single layer of smoked mozzarella slices over the noodles; sprinkle with the shredded fontina cheese.
- Pour the remaining bechamel sauce over the top; sprinkle with the remaining 3 tablespoons of parmesan.
- Bake until the top is browned and bubbly, about 50 minutes; let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.