Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
My version of lasagne which is always delicious, easy, and best of all, never-fail! Comfort food that is sure to please with plenty of cheesy goodness! I prefer using ground chicken for a nicer flavour.
- 500 g ground beef or 500 g chicken
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 500 g ricotta cheese or 500 g cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 500 g spaghetti sauce (season with extra Italian herbs if desired)
- 250 g frozen spinach, thawed and drained (optional)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 6 no-boil lasagna noodles, instant
- salt and pepper
- Chop onion finely and cook with minced garlic til soft in a non stick frying pan with 1 tbsp oil.
- Brown ground meat, season with salt, pepper, sambal olek and Italian seasonings. Set aside and keep warm.
- Beat eggs.
- Add eggs to ricotta and stir well.
- Season ricotta and egg mixture with salt and pepper. Add fresh torn basil if you have it, if not use chopped parsley.
- Put a thin layer of spaghetti sauce on bottom of an 11x9 greased pan.
- Add a layer of lasagne noodles. BE SURE TO USE INSTANT LASAGNE NOODLES!
- Stir together remaining spaghetti sauce with the ground meat and spread 1/3 mixture over the noodles in the pan.
- Top with ricotta cheese mixture.
- Layer on 1/2 thawed drained spinach over cheese layer.
- Add a 2nd layer of noodles, top with sauce/meat mixture, then ricotta, remaining spinach and finally the remaining meat/sauce mixture.
- Top with mozzarella and bake in a hot oven until cheese is browned and bubbling, approximately 40 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes to allow to set for easy serving.
- Serve with crusty garlic bread and copious amounts of good red wine!
Easy and pleasy!! With a step outside of the ordinary...