Recipe by Radigast
Adapted the recipe from one I found an old cookbook. This is a very flexible recipe, you can use almost any type of meat, and different sauces. Experiment with added vegetables/ cheeses/ spices and herbs! Can be prepared in advanced and frozen. This can also be fun to make with children, they enjoy getting messy and rolling them up!
Top Review by pahennon
We really enjoyed this recipe! I used Paul Newman's Sockarooi Sauce and fresh spinach, basil, oregano and mozzarella cheese from the farmer's market. To make the roll-ups I placed the noodles on paper towels side-by-side in a few layers with a paper towel in between, spread and sprinkled like for "regular lasagne" then grabbed the end of each noodle and rolled it up. This way I didn't have to "aim"! Thanks for sharing this great recipe.
- 1 (16 ounce) box lasagna noodles
- 1 (25 1/2 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (optional)
- 16 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 lb hamburger, cooked, drained
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese (drain and rinse cottage cheese) or 1 cup cottage cheese (drain and rinse cottage cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse under cold water until completely cool; drain thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Squeeze as much water as possible from the thawed spinach.
- In a large bowl, stir together the spinach, 8 oz mozzarella, ricotta, hamburger, and 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce until thoroughly blended.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Line the bottom of an 11x7-inch baking dish with 1/2 cup tomato sauce.
- Divide the mixture among the pasta, spooning the mixture down the center of each noodle.
- Roll each noodle (like a jelly roll) arranging the rolls side by side in a baking dish.
- Coat the shells with an even layer of the remaining tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Bake until the center of the rolls are heated through and the sauce is bubbling, about 40 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.