Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted the recipe from one I found an old cookbook. This is a very flexible recipe, you can use almost any type of meat, and different sauces. Experiment with added vegetables/ cheeses/ spices and herbs! Can be prepared in advanced and frozen. This can also be fun to make with children, they enjoy getting messy and rolling them up!
- 1 (16 ounce) box lasagna noodles
- 1 (25 1/2 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (optional)
- 16 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 lb hamburger, cooked, drained
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese (drain and rinse cottage cheese) or 1 cup cottage cheese (drain and rinse cottage cheese)
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse under cold water until completely cool; drain thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Squeeze as much water as possible from the thawed spinach.
- In a large bowl, stir together the spinach, 8 oz mozzarella, ricotta, hamburger, and 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce until thoroughly blended.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Line the bottom of an 11x7-inch baking dish with 1/2 cup tomato sauce.
- Divide the mixture among the pasta, spooning the mixture down the center of each noodle.
- Roll each noodle (like a jelly roll) arranging the rolls side by side in a baking dish.
- Coat the shells with an even layer of the remaining tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Bake until the center of the rolls are heated through and the sauce is bubbling, about 40 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.