Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a modified recipe that originated in an old Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook. I have made this casserole dozens of times -- it is delicious and worth the extra time it takes to make the sauce from scratch.
- 2 lbs pork sausage
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons whole basil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 32 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 20 ounces lasagna noodles
- 6 cups creamy cottage cheese (small curd)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 4 beaten eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs provolone cheese, sliced very thin
- Brown meat slowly; spoon off excess fat. Add next 5 ingredients. Simmer uncovered 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook noodles in large amount boiling salted water till tender; drain; rinse.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except Provel cheese.
- Place half the noodles in a 15x10x2 baking dish; spread with half the cottage-cheese filling; add half the Provel cheese and half the meat sauce. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 375 degrees about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting in squares -- filling will set slightly. Makes 18 servings.
- Or assemble early; refrigerate. Be sure to allow 15 minutes or so longer in the oven.