Recipe by morelhunter
A great way to use up extra zucchini, sneak vegetables in peoples diet, and reduce carb intake. You won't really notice the difference and if you do, it is a pleasant difference.
Top Review by Jo Ann L
I wasn't going to review this recipe, because I made a significant change-using sharp cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella. However, I ran into another problem that had nothing to do with that and is worth commenting on. I wish that all recipe posters would include weights as well as counts. The four zucchini I used weighed about 3 lbs. total. I don't know if that means that they weren't "medium," but it was definitely way too much zucchini for the rest of the ingredients; the amount of meat sauce was especially low compared to the amount of zucchini. I think it would help to use only about a pound and a half of zucchini. The big problem, however, came from an inescapable fact about zucchini: it is composed primarily of water. When I took the pan out of the oven, the casserole was floating in a noticeable layer of water. I poured off at least a cup. Once more during the 10-minute resting period, I poured off more, and then again just before I dished up my serving. All told, I poured off a good 2 cups of clear liquid, and the casserole was still plenty moist when I ate it. Maybe with about half as much zucchini, the water that bakes out would be incorporated into the sauce more, but I'm afraid it would still be a rather gooshy dish.
- 340.19 g beef
- 118.29 ml choopped onion
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 3.69 ml salt
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 4 medium zucchini
- 236.59 ml cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 226.79 g grated mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beef and onion until beef is browned, drain.
- Add tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Simmer, uncovered, 10 min.
- ,stirring occasionally.
- Slice zucchini in lengthwise strips slightly less than 1/4 inch thick.
- Arrange half of strips in greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Beat cottage cheese with egg; spread over zucchini.
- Top with 1/2 the mozzarella and 1/2 the meat sauce.
- Repeat layers of zucchini, mozzarella and sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.