Recipe by AmyZoe
A new variety to an old classic. I never thought of combining these ingredients in my lasagna, and I wasn't disappointed. I used Ricotta in place of Bel Paese cheese--feel free to use cottage cheese or whatever your heart desires. Recipe courtesy of 101+ Hurry Up Hamburger Recipes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- white pepper
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (or whole tomatoes, chopped and undrained)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 lb lasagna noodle, cooked and drained
- 6 ounces bel paese cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (or Grana Padano Cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Bechamel Sauce first: Melt butter in small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Gradually blend in 3/4 cup milk. Season to taste with white pepper. Cook until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Set sauce aside.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until tender.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, celery, carrot, and basil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and simmer 15 minutes more.
- Arrange 1/3 of the lasagna noodles in bottom of buttered 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Add 1/2 cup of the Bel Paese cheese (I used Ricotta instead) and 1/2 of the eggs.
- Spread the Bechamel Sauce.
- Top with layer of noodles.
- Dot with butter.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake in preheated 350 oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until heated through.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.