Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Lasagna con Tre Formaggi e Salsiccia Courtesy of www.cookiesfromitaly.com
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped peeled carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 6 ounces hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
For the lasagna
- 15 lasagna noodles (about 12 ounces)
- 2 (15 ounce) containers part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, squeezed dry
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 lbs grated mozzarella cheese
- Prepare the sauce:
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic; saute until softened, about 12 minutes.
- Add beef and sausages to pan; saute until cooked through, breaking up meat with a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer until flavors blend and sauce measures about 5 cups, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Let cool.
- Prepare the lasagna:
- Preheat oven to 350Â° F. Cook the pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until almost tender, about 7 minutes. Drain; cover with cold water.
- Combine ricotta and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese in a medium bowl. Mix in spinach. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in eggs.
- Drain pasta and pat dry.
- Spread 1/2 cup sauce over bottom of 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish.
- Place 5 noodles over sauce, overlapping to fit.
- Spread half of ricotta-spinach mixture evenly over noodles.
- Sprinkle 2 cups mozzarella cheese evenly over ricotta-spinach mixture.
- Spoon 1 and 1/2 cups sauce over cheese, spreading with spatula to cover (sauce will be thick).
- Repeat layering with 5 noodles, remaining ricotta-spinach mixture, 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1 and 1/2 cups sauce.
- Arrange remaining 5 noodles over sauce. Spread remaining sauce over noodles. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese evenly over lasagna.
- (Can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.)
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake lasagna for 40 minutes; uncover and bake until hot and bubbly, about 40 minutes. Let lasagna stand 15 minutes before serving. Serves 8.
- That's it!