2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 50 mins
Paris D's Note:
Note: The website has not included the fat-free ricotta or the lasagna noodles in its nutritional breakdown, which is important to know if you rely on Food.com's nutritional breakdown to calculate insulin dosages. From the New York Times. If you roast the beets ahead of time and let them cool, they'll be easier to handle. Also, the original recipe did not call for fat-free ricotta cheese, but we thought it would make a nice addition. Feel free to leave it out.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 lbs red beets (about 6 medium-size)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour, sifted
- 2 3/4 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup tarragon or 1/4 cup chives or 1/4 cup parsley, fresh and finely chopped
- 1/2 lb no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated (about 1 cup)
- 1Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Cut the greens away from the beets, leaving about 1/4 inch of stems.
- 3Scrub the beets and place in a baking dish or lidded ovenproof casserole. Add 1/4 inch water to the dish. Cover tightly. Place in the oven and roast 40 to 45 minutes, until the beets are easily penetrated with the tip of a knife.
- 4Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the dish.
- 5Cut away the ends and slip off the skins.
- 6Slice crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and set aside.
- 7Meanwhile, make the béchamel. Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy medium saucepan. Add the shallot or onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 8Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and bubbling, but not browned. It should have the texture of wet sand.
- 9Whisk in the milk all at once and bring to a simmer, whisking all the while, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- 10Turn the heat to very low and simmer, stirring often with a whisk and scraping the bottom and edges of the pan with a rubber spatula, for 10 to 15 minutes, until the sauce is thick and has lost its raw flour taste.
- 11Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 12Strain while hot into a large measuring cup or a medium bowl and stir in the chopped herbs and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan.
- 13Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 14Oil a rectangular baking dish.
- 15Spread a spoonful of béchamel over the bottom.
- 16Top with a layer of lasagna noodles. Spoon a thin layer of the béchamel over the noodles. Top with a layer of beets. Dot with half of the ricotta and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- 17Repeat the layers, ending with a layer of lasagna noodles topped with béchamel and Parmesan.
- 18Make sure the noodles are well coated with béchamel so they will be sure to soften during baking.
- 19Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and place in the oven. Bake 40 minutes, until the noodles are tender and the mixture is bubbling.
- 20Uncover and, if you wish, bake another 5 to 10 minutes, until the top begins to brown.
- 21Remove from the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- 22Advance preparation: You can assemble this up to a day ahead and refrigerate, or freeze for a month. The lasagna can be baked several hours ahead and reheated in a medium oven.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lasagna With Roasted Beets and Herb Béchamel
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 213.8
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 16.9 mg
- Sodium 349.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-boil lasagna noodles
fat-free ricotta cheese