Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
this is a great vegetarian lasagna recipe from the Dean and Deluca cookbook. It makes a lot of food, but i can guarantee you probably won't have many leftovers
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 large yellow onions, diced (about 3 cups)
- 3 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, plus
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 18 sheets lasagna noodles, parboiled
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated (about 3 cups)
- Heat olive oil over moderate heat in large suacepan.
- Add onions, stir and cover.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent.
- Using a food mill, puree plum tomatoes directly into the pan.
- Add 2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper, and cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce is reduced to about 4 1/2 cups.
- In a small bowl mix ricotta, egg, 2 tablespoons of the parmesan, basil, remaining salt and pepper, and nutmeg.
- Stir well to combine.
- Butter generously the bottom and sides of a baking pan, 13X9 inches.
- Take 3/4 cups of tomato sauce and spread on bottom of pan.
- Place 3 lasgana noodles on bottom of pan, overlapping them slightly.
- Spread a heaping 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture evenly over noodles.
- Spread 3/4 cup tomato sauce on top of this, sprinle with a heaping 1/3 cup of mozzarella.
- Repeat this 4 times.
- Then place last 3 noodles on top and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- This lasagna may be assembled 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator, covered.
- Bring to room temperature before cooking.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 400.
- Bake on top shelf of oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Let sit 5 minutes and serve.