1/2 Photos of Lasagna "with a Bit of a Bite!"
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A wonderful Italian dish, full of flavor, with a hint of heat in it. A bit fiddly but well worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 650 g beef, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 125 g button mushrooms
- 125 g smoked bacon, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 400 g canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 beef bouillon cube
- 75 g mozzarella cheese, fine grate
- 75 g parmesan cheese, fine grate
- 9 sheets lasagna noodles
- 60 g butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1For the Meat Sauce.
- 2Peel and chop the onions and mushrooms.
- 3Slightly blend the tomatoes with the juice. set to one side.
- 4Place the oil in a medium size saucepan, heat and add the Onion, Garlic, Bacon and Mushrooms stirring for 4-5 minutes.
- 5Add the meat and stir with a fork until it looses its pinkness.
- 6Season and add the Oregano, Italian Herbs, Chili and 1 tablespoon Tomato puree, stock cubes and the blended tomatoes.
- 7Simmer for 45 minutes or slightly longer until it thickens; set aside to cool.
- 8For the White sauce.
- 9Melt the butter in a saucepan but don't let it heat up, mix the flour with some of the milk, carefully to avoid any lumps, add to the saucepan, with the remaining milk.
- 10Season and stir constantly on low heat until it thickens, stir in the grated cheese.
- 11Mix remaining Tomato Puree, with a little water, to make a thinner paste and spread over the bottom of a lasagna dish.
- 12Cover with 3 sheets of lasagna pasta.
- 13Divide the meat sauce into 2 portions, spreading over the pasta, over with a third of the white sauce, place another three sheets of pasta over, and repeat the process.
- 14Add remaining pasta on the top, spread the remaining third of the white sauce over the top and sprinkle on the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- 15Bake in the oven on 180°C for approximately 45 minutes.
- 16Serve with salads.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lasagna "with a Bit of a Bite!"
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.6
- Calories from Fat 296
- Total Fat 32.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 143.6 mg
- Sodium 924.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 43.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: