Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A wonderful Italian dish, full of flavor, with a hint of heat in it. A bit fiddly but well worth the effort.
- 650 g beef, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 125 g button mushrooms
- 125 g smoked bacon, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 400 g canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 beef bouillon cube
- 75 g mozzarella cheese, fine grate
- 75 g parmesan cheese, fine grate
- 9 sheets lasagna noodles
- 60 g butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
- For the Meat Sauce.
- Peel and chop the onions and mushrooms.
- Slightly blend the tomatoes with the juice. set to one side.
- Place the oil in a medium size saucepan, heat and add the Onion, Garlic, Bacon and Mushrooms stirring for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the meat and stir with a fork until it looses its pinkness.
- Season and add the Oregano, Italian Herbs, Chili and 1 tablespoon Tomato puree, stock cubes and the blended tomatoes.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or slightly longer until it thickens; set aside to cool.
- For the White sauce.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan but don't let it heat up, mix the flour with some of the milk, carefully to avoid any lumps, add to the saucepan, with the remaining milk.
- Season and stir constantly on low heat until it thickens, stir in the grated cheese.
- Mix remaining Tomato Puree, with a little water, to make a thinner paste and spread over the bottom of a lasagna dish.
- Cover with 3 sheets of lasagna pasta.
- Divide the meat sauce into 2 portions, spreading over the pasta, over with a third of the white sauce, place another three sheets of pasta over, and repeat the process.
- Add remaining pasta on the top, spread the remaining third of the white sauce over the top and sprinkle on the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven on 180°C for approximately 45 minutes.
- Serve with salads.