Recipe by Mountain Mi
I started making this recipe when my husband and I were dating. I can't credit this recipe with our eventual marriage, but he does love lasagna. He even likes this better than his grandma's that he used to request for his birthday meal every year as a kid. Shh...don't tell anyone in his family that! My toddler loves it, too! It's also a great recipe for those who don't like ricotta or soupy lasagnas - it's very firm. I've used feta instead of half of the mozzarella before and that is good as well.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained & chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 20 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausage, onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is brown, stirring to separate meat.
- Add tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, basil and marjoram. Reduce heat to low and cover; simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Beat eggs in large bowl; add cottage cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt & pepper. Mix well.
- Place three noodles in bottom of 13"x9"x2" baking pan. Spread half of cottage cheese mixture over noodles, then half of meat mixture and half of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake lasagna 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.