Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lower-cal version of one found in Real Simple.
Make and share this Lasagna-Style Baked Ziti recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb whole wheat rigatoni or 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 24 ounces pasta sauce (or 26 oz)
- 15 ounces low-fat ricotta
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Cook the ziti or rigatoni according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the turkey and cook, crumbling with a spoon until no trace of pink remains, about 7 minutes.
- Spoon off and discard any excess fat.
- Add the garlic and oregano and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the pasta sauce and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the drained ziti to the pot and toss.
- Add the ricotta, spinach and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and toss again.
- Spread the mixture into a 9-by-13 inch baking dish that is lined with aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella and remaining Parmesan.
- Bake until the mozzarella melts (about 15 minutes).
- You can also freeze this, thaw it overnight in the fridge and then cook it at 350F for one hour covered, then remove foil and cook for 10 minutes until cheese melts.
it was pretty good, not a ton of flavor. Which i love! I think if i added fresh spices and more it would acheive that. we did like it. and this recipe makes a lot, so unless you have a big family you'll have left-overs!!!