Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Two classic favorites for your family in one easy, affordable meal. Pair with tossed salad and French bread and voilà! You'll be the next new chef to star in your own kitchen with adoring family and friends. And isn't that what it's all about?
- 1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles (seasoning packet saved for another use)
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 lb bulk Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook ramen noodles until soft. Drain noodles and set aside.
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds and membranes.
- Place peppers in a glass baking dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and microwave for 9 minutes, rotating positions of peppers every three minutes. (I cooked them right-side-up, upside down, and then on their sides). Cooking time may vary slightly with different microwaves. You should expect your peppers to be about half cooked.
- Mix cooked and crumbled sausage with spaghetti sauce and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Beat egg until frothy, then add cottage cheese, stirring until the egg is worked in, then stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Place a crumpled sheet of foil into the bottom of the glass baking dish and set peppers on it, balancing them upright on the foil. Use extra crimped foil to keep them from tipping to the sides.
- Divide ramen noodles into four parts and place in the bottom of the peppers.
- Spoon half the meat sauce into the peppers.
- Divide the cottage cheese mixture among the peppers.
- Finish topping with the sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and fill with mozzarella cheese.
- Return to oven and bake 20 minutes more.
Thought is was great. Needed some salt. I agree with the not microwaving the peppers crunchy was nice!! I also firmly agree with mixing Mozzarella in the layers. Super tasty!!
Served it with corn. Was a great match. Thankssss
WOW! This new version of an old favorite has surpassed my expectations!!! This was my first recipe I chose to cook and taste as I had all of the ingredients on hand. I, however only used one one red bell pepper, two orange & one yellow. We loved the texture of the noodles as opposed to the normal rice! I used garlic sausage instead of the Italian which increased the flavor.
Creative use of contest ingredients. Wonderful tasty recipe with great eye appeal. We loved them. Would be beautiful on a buffet table, lovely for a luncheon or dinner party. Because I like my pepper still crunchy I didn't pre micro wave them. I stuffed them raw and baked them in a 375F oven for 27 minutes with the cheese already on top. Perfect for my taste buds. Also I cut them longways instead of upright .I used all the ingredients as posted so although my cooking method was different it was still the same recipe. I used Hot Italian sausage meat. Good tip with the crumbled foil. Your instructions were very clear. This is a definite will do again. Well done and good luck in the contest