Recipe by katie in the UP
I saw this recipe....in Everyday Rachael Ray Mag March/2009..simple ingredients, had them all on hand...made a wonderful pot of soup!! Only thing we missed....no crusty bread to dip in bowl....next time ........
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef (extra lean)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I grated them)
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle, broken
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn (I had to use dried...approx 3 tbls)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning (my addition)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (my addition)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, heat oil over med high heat.
- Add the beef, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the onion, carrots and garlic and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups water, the chicken broth and tomatoes; and dried seasonings -- if using fresh add later, cover and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 15 minutes.
- Serve stoup in bowls and dollop with ricotta.
- Pass the parm at the table.