1/1 Photo of Lasagna Spinaci (Italian Spinach Lasagna)
1 hr 20 mins
Mims & Squims's Note:
Indulgent taste with low-fat ingredients. It's not only delicious, but DH doesn't mind the spinach, which is quite an accomplishment!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unbleached cane sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 -2 cup cooked italian sausage (optional)
- 1Prepare marinara: Saute onions in saucepan. Do not brown.
- 2Add liquid drained from diced tomatoes.
- 3Add basil, Italian seasoning, oregano, sugar & red peppers.
- 4Simmer 30 minutes or until reduced by half.
- 5Add all tomatoes & garlic, and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat & set aside.
- 6Prepare Pasta: Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse, return to pot & cover w/ cold water.
- 7Prepare Filling: Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- 8Add garlic and cook 20 seconds. Add spinach and cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
- 9Stir in ricotta, parmesan, olives, crushed red pepper, salt and 1/2-2/3 c marinara.
- 10Spread 1/3-1/2 cup marinara in bottom of 9x13" baking dish.
- 11Line bottom of baking dish with single layer of lasagna noodles. Spoon layer of filling over noodles and spread evenly.
- 12If desired, add layer of cooked Italian sausage. Repeat layers. Top with marinara sauce & mozarella.
- 13Bake 20-25 minutes until bubbling & cheese melted.
- 14Can be frozen up to 1 month.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lasagna Spinaci (Italian Spinach Lasagna)
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 96.3
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 7.1 mg
- Sodium 461.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning
whole wheat lasagna noodles
fat-free ricotta cheese