Indulgent taste with low-fat ingredients. It's not only delicious, but DH doesn't mind the spinach, which is quite an accomplishment!
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unbleached cane sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 -2 cup cooked italian sausage (optional)
- Prepare marinara: Saute onions in saucepan. Do not brown.
- Add liquid drained from diced tomatoes.
- Add basil, Italian seasoning, oregano, sugar & red peppers.
- Simmer 30 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Add all tomatoes & garlic, and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat & set aside.
- Prepare Pasta: Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse, return to pot & cover w/ cold water.
- Prepare Filling: Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook 20 seconds. Add spinach and cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
- Stir in ricotta, parmesan, olives, crushed red pepper, salt and 1/2-2/3 c marinara.
- Spread 1/3-1/2 cup marinara in bottom of 9x13" baking dish.
- Line bottom of baking dish with single layer of lasagna noodles. Spoon layer of filling over noodles and spread evenly.
- If desired, add layer of cooked Italian sausage. Repeat layers. Top with marinara sauce & mozarella.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until bubbling & cheese melted.
- Can be frozen up to 1 month.
I made this last night for 15 of my friends. It was sooo good. I followed the recipe almost exactly but left out the optional ingredients. When I make it again I will use 4 or 5 cups spinach. Yummmy. I made extra marinara, which i will be enjoying tonight!
A little time consuming but very well worth it!! I did add more spinach. This was so FRESH tasting! Well done, thanks for sharing. I will be making this again.