Recipe by bmcnichol
My family loves this soup. It is quick and easy to make.
Top Review by catsoplenty
This soup is so delicious, satisfying, quick and easy!! Within an hour or so you can have dinner ready. I did eliminate the salt because of the salt that's in the sauce and broth and we were happy with that. I also served it with a dollop of either cottage cheese or ricotta on each serving. Deeeelish!! Thanks for posting!!! My neighbor loved it, too, and plans on making it soon I'm sure!! Updated review: p.s. I noticed that after sitting the pasta absorbs all the broth. So the next time I think I'll use a whole 26 oz. can of sauce and a whole 48 oz. can of broth and up the spices and onion a bit to make up for the difference. It was still delicious even with the broth absorbed!! It was more like goulash. Yum!! I also prefer making it with half hot Italian sausage and half hamburger. That makes it even tastier!
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic (you can mince your own but I use from a jar)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces mafalda pasta (or any pasta you like)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- shredded mozzarella cheese (for topping)
- grated parmesan cheese (for topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the ground beef, garlic and onions until done and drain.
- Add oregano, basil, spaghetti sauce, beef broth and bay leaves.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add pasta bring to a boil.
- Cook until pasta is done.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Add salt, pepper and parsley.
- Top each serving with shredded mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.