Recipe by PaulaG
This dish was created for RSC Winter 2005 and is a prime example of a confusing recipe. It is being updated to decrease the amount of servings as well as hopefully making the recipe more understandable. Have the best of two worlds--Italian and Mexican. This dish combines the Italian pasta that is so loved along with the flavor of Mexican Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas.
Top Review by Rita~
I would have like to have the ingredients in order as the directions calls for to make it easier to follow. The shiitake mushrooms should state to remove and discard the stems. The soaking water from the mushrooms I used toward the cooking water for the veggies and chicken. The onions, carrots and garlic would have been good sauteed first. I used only 1 breast. The Monterey cheese added to only 1 cup so I topped with additional cheese. I used dried parsley. The flour, butter, salt, pepper, powdermilk I added to the blender at step #13. Then to pot to thicken. Then adding yogurt. I placed the noodles all a long side each other so I didn't measure just spread the 1/2 the filling among 9 noodles. Then repeated with the other 9. Making 18 nicely full rolls. I found the filling a bit dry. Salsa would be a good touch at serving with the avocado sauce. Garnished with jalapeno pepper! This was interesting, time consuming and missing something maybe the salsa!
- 6 lasagna noodles, cooked as per package directions
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, grated, divided
- 1⁄3 cup dried shiitake mushroom, rinsed
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄8 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
Green Chili Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (cooking liquid for the chicken)
- 4 long green chilies, roasted, peeled and chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup powdered milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the dried mushrooms in a small dish and cover with hot water; allow to soak while preparing remaining ingredients.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the onions, garlic and carrot in a small amount of olive oil until done; about 5 minutes; add the chicken breast and 2 cups of water, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked and tender.
- Remove chicken from broth, strain cooking liquid reserving broth and discarding the vegetables.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the lasagna noodles as per package directions; drain noodles, rinse under cool water and lay them side by side on paper towels to drain.
- Drain mushrooms, in food processor, add drained mushrooms and cooked chicken, pulse several times until chopped and blended; set aside.
- For the cheese filling mix the ricotta cheese, beaten egg, chopped parsley, and coriander together; set aside.
- In blender jar, combine 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, powdered milk and chilies, blend well.
- In saucepan, melt the butter, add flour, and cook until light golden color; whisk in the chicken broth/chili mixture and cook stirring frequently until mixture thickens, stir in 1/3 of the grated cheese and stir until melted; remove sauce from heat; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees while assembling the lasagna rolls.
- Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and ladle in a small amount of the green chili sauce.
- To assemble the lasagna rolls, evenly spread the noodles with the cheese mixture, sprinkle with chicken/mushroom mixture and then grated cheese; reserving approximately 2 oz of the cheese for topping. Roll up jelly roll fashion and place seam side down on top of sauce in casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes; remove foil and sprinkle with additional 2 oz of jack cheese, return to oven for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve rolls on individual plates--Olé!