Recipe by Smockmock
I found this to be a neat way to do lasagna and much easier to serve than trying to cut up pieces of the pasta since each helping is in it's own little roll.
Top Review by ClarkeCC
I frequently make lasagna rolls as a week night standby and everyone in my house thought that this was a tasty variation. I added a bit of cilantro to the filling and also a teaspoon of cayenne to up the heat. Also I "cheated" and used a pre-made enchilada sauce, instead of making my own. This is definitely a keeper for me.
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup dried black beans
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Hydrate and cook beans according to package directions (You can also use a 15 oz can of black beans if you like in place of the dry).
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain well. Rinse noodles with cold water and lay individually on kitchen towels.
- While pasta is cooking prepare Sauce as follows: combine tomato paste, tomatoes,water, garlic, onion flakes, oregano, rosemary, basil and sugar in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Also while noodles are cooking combine 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, chili powder, taco seasoning, spinach and salt. Add black beans.
- Spoon mixture onto lasagna noodles. Roll up noodles, jellyroll fashion, beginning at narrow ends.
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 8-12 oz of sauce on the bottom of dish. Place lasagna rolls , seam sides down in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce. Dish can be covered and frozen or refrigerated until ready to use.
- If going straight into the oven, bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with remaining cup of mozzarella cheese and bake 5 more minutes. (To serve from frozen state, cover and cook one hour.).