I found this to be a neat way to do lasagna and much easier to serve than trying to cut up pieces of the pasta since each helping is in it's own little roll.
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup dried black beans
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Hydrate and cook beans according to package directions (You can also use a 15 oz can of black beans if you like in place of the dry).
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain well. Rinse noodles with cold water and lay individually on kitchen towels.
- While pasta is cooking prepare Sauce as follows: combine tomato paste, tomatoes,water, garlic, onion flakes, oregano, rosemary, basil and sugar in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Also while noodles are cooking combine 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, chili powder, taco seasoning, spinach and salt. Add black beans.
- Spoon mixture onto lasagna noodles. Roll up noodles, jellyroll fashion, beginning at narrow ends.
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 8-12 oz of sauce on the bottom of dish. Place lasagna rolls , seam sides down in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce. Dish can be covered and frozen or refrigerated until ready to use.
- If going straight into the oven, bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with remaining cup of mozzarella cheese and bake 5 more minutes. (To serve from frozen state, cover and cook one hour.).