Recipe by Columbus Foodie
Lite being a relative thing, that is--this is a lower-fat version of Giada De Laurentiis' Lasagna Rolls recipe as seen on the Food Network Show "Everyday Italian".
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 (15 ounce) container fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, plus more for salting water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 4 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the sauce, melt the butter over medium-low heat, and then add the flour and whisk for 3 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and whisk the sauce until it comes to a simmer and is thick and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk the salt, pepper, and nutmeg into the bechamel sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Whisk the ricotta, spinach, 1 cup of the Parmesan, prosciutto, egg, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl to blend.
- Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until the noodles are al dente.
- Drain, and then arrange noodles in a single layer on a baking sheet to prevent them from sticking.
- Butter a 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.
- Pour the bechamel sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Lay out 4 lasagna noodles on a work surface, and spread about 3 tablespoons of ricotta mixture evenly over each noodle.
- Starting at one end, roll each noodle like a jelly roll. Lay the lasagna rolls seam side down without touching, atop the bechamel sauce in the dish. Repeat with the remaining noodles and ricotta mixture.
- Spoon the marinara sauce over the lasagna rolls, and then sprinkle them with the mozzarella and the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil, and bake until heated through and the sauce and bubbles, about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until the cheese on top becomes golden, about 15 minutes longer.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.