Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My version of a recipe from Good Housekeeping. A unique twist on lasagna, and the tomato sauce described in the first three steps is a terrific marinara.
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 396.89 g can beef broth, diluted according to can directions
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 283.49 g package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 425.24 g container ricotta cheese (preferably 5% milk fat)
- 1 egg
- 78.07 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.62 ml ground black pepper
- In a crock pot or large pot, combine tomatoes and spices (spices are optional and open to whatever changes you want to make!).
- Set at a low heat to simmer.
- Fry half of the onions and garlic until golden.
- Add the beef broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour into crock pot with tomatoes.
- Adjust seasoning as you see fit.
- Allow tomato sauce to simmer for several hours if possible.
- This is not absolutely necessary, but the sauce will develop better flavour if it is allowed to simmer for 3-4 hours.
- When you are ready to finish preparation, preheat the oven to 375.
- Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Usually this means boiling them for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to drain and cool.
- While noodles are cooking, fry the other half of the onions and garlic until golden.
- Add the spinach and cook for 4 minutes, or until spinach is cooked through.
- Transfer spinach mixture to a medium bowl and add ricotta cheese; mix well.
- Add egg, parmesan, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Divide the cheese and spinach mixture into thirds.
- Divide the first third into thirds again.
- Spread the mixture over the first lasagna noodle.
- Starting from the narrow end, roll up the noodle and place in a large baking dish.
- Continue for the remaining noodles with the remaining cheese mixture.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the noodle rolls.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until piping hot.
- Cut the noodle rolls in half and serve each person 3 slices.
- This recipe can be assembled in advance and refrigerated until you are ready to use; extend the cooking time slightly in that case.
- You can also use your own favourite tomato sauce rather than the marinara sauce described in steps 1-3.