2 hrs 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is a delicious fall dish - great for a large number of guests or a small number with lots of leftovers. Recipe makes A LOT of bechamel - don't be afraid to use a lot in the lasagna.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE SQUASH
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups ricotta cheese (or a 15-ounce container)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lb drid lasagna noodle, each 6-1/2 x 3 inches (about 24 sheets)
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sage, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
TO ASSEMBLE THE LASAGNA
FENNEL AND CINNAMON SPICE BLEND
- 1FOR THE FENNEL AND CINNAMON SPICE BLEND:.
- 2Grind fennel with a mortar and pestle. Add the cinnamon and salt and continue grinding. Or grind in spice grinder for a rough grind.
- 3Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 4Using a vegetable peeler, remove the squash's hard shell. Trim about 1/2-inch off the top and bottom ends so you can set each section of the squash flat and cut on a cutting board. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop the seeds out with a spoon, and coarsely chop the squash into 1/2-inch chunks. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a bowl, toss the squash with the oil, sage and 1 tablespoon of the fennel and cinnamon spice blend, and 1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spread the squash in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast the squash in the oven until very soft and beginning to brown, 40 to 50 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove the squash from the oven and puree in a food processor with fresh nutmeg.
- 5In a large bowl, mix the squash puree, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover and refrigerate the mixture until ready to use.
- 6In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the lasagna sheets until al dente. Drain the sheets and spread them on a baking sheet. Drizzle them lightly with oil and set aside.
- 7PREPARE THE SAUCE:.
- 8In a large saucepan, bring the milk to a slow simmer over medium heat. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the sage and garlic to the butter, cook for 30 seconds, then add the flour and stir. Add about 3 cups of the milk, and whisk vigorously to prevent lumps. Bring to a boil, while whisking continuously. Add the remaining milk and whisk again. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Adjust the heat to low to maintain a slow simmer, and cook until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes, whisking frequently. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Makes about 8 cups.
- 9Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 10Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spoon a ladel of bechamel into the dish and spread to coat the bottom. Place a single layer of lasagna sheets on top of the bechamel. Spread some of the squash mixture evenly over the lasagna sheets and sprinkle about 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese and 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese on top. Repeat this step until all ingredients are used, starting with 2 to 3 ladels of bechamel for each layer. Keep building the layers until the pan is full to about 1/4-inch from the top. Finish with bechamel and cheese directly over the noodles. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 1 hour. Remove the cover, and continue cooking for another 15 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Allow lasagna to rest about 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lasagna of Roasted Butternut Squash
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 756.1
- Calories from Fat 354
- Total Fat 39.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 147.1 mg
- Sodium 1762.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 34.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves