Taste buds are definitely satisfied with this treasure of mild Italian sausage, summer squash and zucchini. Sauce is not for the impatient. Simmer for at least 5 hours or overnight. It's worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1 1/4 lb) packages diced tomatoes
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (13 1/4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 small summer squash, diced into small pieces
- 1 small zucchini, diced into small pieces
- 1 medium purple onion, diced in small pieces
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, save 1 tsp. for later
- 1 (9 ounce) box of barilla lasagna noodles
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, saved from earlier
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1Sauce: In large pot on medium/low heat add sausage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, mushrooms, squash and zucchini, onion, Italian seasoning and 1 teaspoons of the minced garlic; stir. When sauce starts to get warm turn heat to low; stir again and let cook overnight. If you're making it for that day, add ingredients above on medium/medium high heat and stir. When sauce starts to bubble, stir again and turn heat to low. Simmer 5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 2Noodles: Prepare as directed on package; set aside.
- 3Filling: In medium mixing bowl add ricotta cheese, Italian seasoning, egg, minced garlic, saved from earlier and Parmesan cheese. Mix until well blended.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 5Layers: In a greased Lasagna dish or 13x9x2-inch baking dish, cover bottom of dish with single layer of noodles. Spread about a 1/4 inch of Ricotta mixture over noodles. Spoon sauce to cover cheese mixture. Sprinkle with some mozzarella. Repeat layer directions until dish is almost full to the top. Leave room so bubbling doesn't spill over the top of your dish.
- 6Cooking: Place in heated oven for 45 minutes to an hour. Remove and let set for 15 minutes before serving.
- 7Store: Remaining sauce may be frozen for later meal.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lasagna Lovers Latest
Serving Size: 1 (660 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 663.5
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 136.9 mg
- Sodium 1992.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 39.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: