Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my version of a light lasagna recipe found in Self magazine. It can be frozen in individual size portions for later use. To further reduce fat, the ground turkey breast can be cooked separately and then rinsed with water and pressed dry before adding to the sauce.
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles (about 8 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
- 3 teaspoons dried chives
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a large nonstick frying pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Cook onion and garlic for several minutes stirring constantly.
- Add turkey and cook (crumbling the meat fine) until barely done about 4 minutes (if using precooked rinsed meat you don't need to cook for 4 minutes, just go to the next step).
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the green pepper, tomato, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, parsley and pepper and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Remove frying pan from heat.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water that has been sprayed with vegetable cooking spray until al dente.
- Drain noodles and rinse with cold water and drain.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta and chives, mix in spinach.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Arrange 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan.
- Spread evenly with one third of the ricotta mixture, then one third of the turkey mixture, and sprinkle with one third of mozzarella.
- Repeat twice with remaining ingredients.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until cheese bubbles.
- Cool at least 5 minutes before cutting.
Super, super good even if a little labor intensive. You can use a large 9x13 casserole dish or two smaller 8x8s and put one in the freezer for later. It freezes really well. Delicious!
AWESOME! We made this in advance and froze it (without cooking the noodles). Then just baked at 350 F for about 1 hour. Really really great... this is my new go-to lasagna recipe!
This was sooo good. I followed the directions exactly except for i used regular lasagna noodles and left out the green pepper and the chives. I also precooked the turkey and drained the extra fat from it. This took alot longer than 35 minutes for me to prep but it was a fun recipe to make! thank you!