Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Inspired by the original version of a classic Italian Lasagna, this tantalizing dish is ten times more healthy.
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled, and finely diced
- 2 (28 1/2 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes, diced
- 12 ounces no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Truvia (artificial sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces 1% fat cottage cheese
- 12 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions, omitting the salt
- Brown ground beef, Italian sausage, onion and garlic.
- Add Also salt and next 6 ingredients; stirring until well mixed.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, omitting salt ; drain and set aside.
- Spray a 13 x 9" baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, eggs, pepper, Parmesan cheese and 1/2 of mozzarella cheese; In a lasagna pan, layer noodles, meat sauce, and cheese mixture; repeat.
- Top off with layer of noodles; sprinkle evenly with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 375F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cheese mixture is thoroughly melted.