Recipe by LifeIsGood
What I love about this recipe, is that it's possible to have lasagna within approx. 30 minutes and only have one pan to wash! It's an easy weeknight recipe to prepare. Comfort food with ease. :) This is an adaption from Cook's Illustrated. *Note: I use preshredded cheeses for quick prep. The 30 minute time is what the original recipe states, and the time it takes me to prepare - however, the time is an approximation and may take a bit longer. Enjoy!
Top Review by Gadgetsmidnight
This turned out great. Simple to prepare. I did not use the "meatloaf mixture", but just used lean ground beef. I was worried, due to another reviewer's attempt, that the lasagna noodles would be gummy, that did not happen. It did, however, take a little longer for them to cook and I did have to add more water. (That was probably just the brand I used.) I also replaced the ricotta (not a fan) with cottage cheese and mixed it into the "lasagna". Thanks for the recipe LifeIsGood.
- 1 lb meatloaf mix (ground beef, ground pork and ground veal)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch pieces. (8 noodles)
- 26 ounces marinara sauce (I like Barilla)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook meat in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it into pieces with a wooden spoon, for about 5 minutes (until cooked through).
- Drain meat and return to skillet.
- Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/2 t. salt and cook over medium-high heat until fragrant (about 30 seconds -- do not burn garlic).
- Sprinkle broken lasagna noodles into the skillet, then pour in marinara sauce and water over the top.
- Cover and cook, stirring often and adjusting heat as necessary to maintain a vigorous simmer, until noodles are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Take the skillet off the heat source and stir in half of the mozzarella and half of the parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dot heaping tablespoons of ricotta over the noodles, then sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover and let stand off heat until the cheeses melt (about 3-5 minutes).
- Sprinkle with basil before serving.