Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
This was a grand prize winner in Taste of Home's Feb/Mar 09 issue of Healthy Cooking.
- 9 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 566.99 g package Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 226.79 g lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 340.19 g can tomato paste
- 59.14 ml water
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml fennel seed
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 425.24 g carton reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 2.46 ml salt
- 473.18 ml mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 177.44 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil, fennel and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, ricotta cheese, parsley and salt. Drain noodles and rinse in cold water. Spread 1 cup meat sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, 2/3 cup ricotta cheese mixture, 2/3 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.