Recipe by looneytunesfan
This was a grand prize winner in Taste of Home's Feb/Mar 09 issue of Healthy Cooking.
- 9 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1 (20 ounce) package Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) carton reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil, fennel and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, ricotta cheese, parsley and salt. Drain noodles and rinse in cold water. Spread 1 cup meat sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, 2/3 cup ricotta cheese mixture, 2/3 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.