Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
This is my grandmother's recipe who moved here from Italy
- 1⁄2 lb uncooked creamette lasagna noodle
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Prepare lasagna according to package directions; drain.
- Cook sausage, ground, beef, onion and garlic in large skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, 2 teaspoons of the salt, the basil, fennel seeds and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
- In small bowl, blend ricotta, egg, parsley and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce into 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Layer 1/3 each of the lasagna, remaining meat sauce, ricotta mixture, olives, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese into dish.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes.
- Bake about 20 minutes more or until heated through.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.