Recipe by lazyme
A really simple casserole that my family loves. It tastes like lasagna but is half the work. It makes alot, so I usually divide it into 3 dishes and freeze two. A real kid-pleaser.
Top Review by LifeIsGood
Let me start out by saying that I made several changes due to a certain someone in my family not liking cheese, etc... ;-) It still turned out great! My changes: I used rigatoni, half the amount of all cheeses (and not even putting extra on top), used ground turkey and only used 2 jars of marinara sauce. With that said, I think this recipe is probably indestructible. I'm glad it made a big pan because I will have it for work lunches the next few days! Thank you!
- 1 lb ground beef, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package pasta shells, cooked
- 6 cups mozzarella cheese
- 24 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 3 (28 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Assembly instructions:.
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Sprinkle with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, 3 cups of mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley and remaining pepper; stir gently. Pour into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish or shallow 3 quart baking dish.
- Top with beef mixture and spaghetti sauce (dish will be VERY full).
- Freeze. Cover tightly with foil. Seal additional cheese in package attached to pans.
- To serve:.
- Thaw all day in refrigerator.
- Baking Instructions:.
- Cover with new layer of foil and bake at 350ºF for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted ad bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serves 6 to 8 in a 13x9x2-inch pan OR.
- Serves 4 in each 8x8-inch pan.