Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
I love lasagna and this is the best I have ever had. Grandma's sauce is the secret. A full recipe is enough to feed an army so half it if you like.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) can tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, chopped into large pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, grated or slices
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (1 lb) carton ricotta cheese or 1 (1 lb) carton cottage cheese
- Brown meat in hot oil.
- Add onions, and garlic, cook until transparent.
- Add tomatoes, paste, sauce, and spices (not olives yet).
- Cover and simmer one hour or until sauce is thickened.
- Remove and stir in olives.
- Cook lasagna in boiling salt water until almost tender.
- Drain and rinse.
- Slice mozz cheese.
- In 9 by 13 baking dish spread layers as follows: sauce (noodles, ricotta chees, sauce, parmesian cheese, mozzarella cheese).
- Repeat 3 times.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
I never cook, but was obligated to have a dinner party. I thought Lasagna would be good since all you really need is the Lasagna, bread, and salad. I tried this recipe and it was awesome my first try. If I can do this one, anyone can.