Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This faux-lasagna meal is an easy dinner that looks very attractive if served as suggested in the directions. Leave out meat (substitute mushrooms) for a vegetarian pasta meal.
- 3 cups dry fusilli
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce (your favourite from a jar, or homemade)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons slivered fresh basil
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions, just until al dente; drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, while pasta is cooking, melt butter in large skillet over medium heat, add oil, then saute onion, stirring often, until onion is soft.
- Increase heat to high and add ground beef.
- Brown the beef, stirring frequently (this will take about 5 minutes).
- Stir in sauce and cook until sauce is heated through; remove from heat.
- In a large glass mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, parmesan, minced garlic, basil and pepper to taste.
- Microwave this mixture on High for 2 minutes or until it's very hot; let stand for 2 minutes.
- Place cooked pasta in a prewarmed shallow serving bowl; top with meat sauce, but leave a border of pasta visible around the edges.
- Top the meat sauce with the cheese mixture, again leaving a border of sauce visible.
This recipe makes a nice substitute for when you don't have the time to make a pan of lasagna. It was quick and easy to prepare with all the flavorful makings of a good Italian dish. I will add that my husband still prefers a traditional pan lasagna but this sure did the trick in a pinch. Thanks!
Tasted very good. My kids love the long fusilli noodles. I sprinkled the top with a little mozzarella and popped it in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese. The cottage cheese mixture got a bit watery, and I think there could have been more of it. Maybe add some ricotta to it and/or an egg? I will make this again, but simply add ricotta to the cheese mixture to increase it. Thanx for shring!