Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 12 mins
I got this from Emeril. It looked so good on tv I printed the recipe off the internet and here it is.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄4 lb ham, diced
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal or 1⁄2 lb ground pork (or 1/4 pound of each)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced mushroom
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 chicken livers, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh spinach pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a large pot heat the butter over medum high heat.
- Add the bacon and ham and saute until caramelized and light brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ground meats and cook over high heat until well-browned, stirring constantly, about 20 minutes.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and mushrooms and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cloves and nutmeg to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook until almost evaporated.
- Add stock and simmer over medium high heat until sauce is thickened and flavorful and flovorful, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the chicken livers to the pot and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and parsley, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Set aside until ready to assemble lasagna.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a large rectangular baking dish, then spoon 1/2 cup of meat sauce onto the bottom of the dish.
- Cover with 1 sheet of fresh pasta.
- Top the lasagna with a layer of meat sauce (making certain that pasta is completely covered), a layer of bechamel, then a light dusting of cheese.
- Repeat layering lasagna, sauces, and cheese in this manner until all have been used, ending with a topping of bechamel and cheese.
- Bake until the lasagna is bubbling and golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Bechamel: In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and stir in the flour, stirring constantly until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk the milk into the flour, stirring vigorously to blend together.
- Set over high heat and quickly bring to a boil for 1 minute, stirring.
- Allow to cook another 5 minutes, or until floury taste is gone.
- Remove from heat and add salt and nutmeg to taste.