Recipe by tonyp063
A rich, creamy lasagna that has different flavors than the usual. Extraordinarily easy to make also!
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 (5 ounce) can mushroom pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 6 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 1⁄2 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 lb whole milk mozzarella, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 375 degrees.
- heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking, about 2 minutes.
- add onion and cook until softened, not browned. about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. about 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add meat and1/2 tps each of salt and pepper. Cook: breaking the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until the meat looses it's raw color but is not brown. About 4 minutes.
- add cream and simmer until liquid evaporates. About 4 minutes.
- Add puréed and drained diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low and simmer slowly until blended, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Mix Ricotta, 1 cup Parmesan, basil, egg, 1/2 tps each salt and pepper with a fork until well combined.
- smear the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with 1/4 - 1/3 cup sauce. (being careful to not get large chunks of meat) Add mushrooms to remaining sauce.
- place 3 noodles in dish to create the first layer. Drop 3 TBS of ricotta mixture on each noodle and level.
- Sprinkle the layer evenly with 1 cup of shredded Mozzarella. Spoon 1 1/2 cups sauce evenly over the cheese.
- Repeat the layering of noodles, ricotta, cheese and sauce 2 more times.
- Place the last 3 noodles on top, spread the remaining sauce evenly, sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella and then 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Lightly spray a sheet of foil with non-stick cooking spray and cover lasagna.
- Bake 15 minutes then remove the foil.
- Bake until cheese is browned and sauce is bubbling, about 25 minutes longer.
- Remove, cool on rack for about 10 minutes; cut and serve.