Recipe by Sackville
This three-sauce lasagna makes for a truly wonderful dish and it reheats well the next day.
Top Review by Mrs. Moon
The end result of this is good, but make sure you read through the directions before you start. I used ground beef (instructions state lamb). It also doesn't state how much/what type of broth. I used about a cup of beef broth and that was too much. I made it in a 9 x 13 pan. It is worth the time it takes to make - just read through first. It does reheat very well. Thanks for sharing!
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 500 g minced beef (vegetarian substitute) or 500 g quorn pieces (vegetarian substitute)
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 glass red wine
- salt and pepper
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 300 ml milk
- 75 g grated parmesan cheese
- 8 sheets pre-cooked lasagna noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and stir in the onion, half the garlic and bacon.
- Cook for five minutes.
- Add the carrot and celery and cook another five minutes, before adding the lamb and cooking until the meat is browned.
- Stir in the ketchup, wine and stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, season with salt and pepper and then leave to simmer for 30 minutes or until thick.
- Meanwhile, put the tomatoes, remaining garlic and oregano into a pan.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until thick, then stir in the basil and parsley.
- Now make the white sauce by melting the butter in a pan, then stirring in the flour until smooth and gradually adding the milk.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Stir in half the parmesan and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Finally, assemble the lasagne by smearing an oven-proof pan with one third of the meat sauce, then top with one third of the lasagne.
- Add a tablespoon of tomato sauce and a dribble of cheese sauce.
- Repeat the layers twice, before finishing with a thick layer of white sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in a 400 F or 200 C oven until crusty and bubbling around the edge.