Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This three-sauce lasagna makes for a truly wonderful dish and it reheats well the next day.
Make and share this Lasagna Al Forno recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 500 g minced beef (vegetarian substitute) or 500 g quorn pieces (vegetarian substitute)
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 glass red wine
- salt and pepper
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 300 ml milk
- 75 g grated parmesan cheese
- 8 sheets pre-cooked lasagna noodles
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and stir in the onion, half the garlic and bacon.
- Cook for five minutes.
- Add the carrot and celery and cook another five minutes, before adding the lamb and cooking until the meat is browned.
- Stir in the ketchup, wine and stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, season with salt and pepper and then leave to simmer for 30 minutes or until thick.
- Meanwhile, put the tomatoes, remaining garlic and oregano into a pan.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until thick, then stir in the basil and parsley.
- Now make the white sauce by melting the butter in a pan, then stirring in the flour until smooth and gradually adding the milk.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Stir in half the parmesan and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Finally, assemble the lasagne by smearing an oven-proof pan with one third of the meat sauce, then top with one third of the lasagne.
- Add a tablespoon of tomato sauce and a dribble of cheese sauce.
- Repeat the layers twice, before finishing with a thick layer of white sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in a 400 F or 200 C oven until crusty and bubbling around the edge.