Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from an episode of Food 911.
Make and share this Lasagna Al Forno recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried lasagna noodle
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 6 ounces tomato paste (1 can)
- 30 ounces ricotta cheese (2 containers)
- 1⁄4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- gated parmesan cheese, for topping
- mozzarella cheese, for topping
- Cook the lasagna noodles in plenty of boiling salted water until pliable and barely tender, about 10 minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking.
- Drain the noodles thoroughly, coat with olive oil keep them moist and easy to work with.
- Coat a large skillet with olive oil. Saute over medium heat, onion, garlic and herbs. Cook 5 minutes.
- Brown beef and sausage until no longer pink, about 15 minutes. Drain fat into a small container and discard.
- Stir in the tomato paste completely. Set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, parsley and oregano. Stir in beaten eggs. Add Parmesan, season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the lasagna:
- Coat the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch pan with a ladle full of tomato sauce.
- Arrange 4 noodles lengthwise in a slightly overlapping layer on the sauce. Then, line each end of the pan with a lasagna noodle. This forms a collar that holds in the corners.
- Spread 1/2 of the meat mixture over the pasta.
- Dollop 1/2 of the ricotta mixture over the meat, spread to the edges with a spatula.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the mozzarella on top of the ricotta.
- Top with a ladle full of tomato sauce, spread evenly.
- Repeat with the next layer of noodles, meat, cheeses and sauce.
- Top last layer with noodles, sauce and shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. Tap the pan to force out air bubbles.
- Cover with foil. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let lasagna rest for 30 minutes so the noodles will settle and cut easily. Cut into squares and serve.
I like this one! I don't know why you have to boil your noodles, as they cook out just fine, given the contents and cooking time. Wouldn't mind working some garden grown bell peppers into this, thinly sliced...would also go with adding a layer or two of pepperoni slices (as used for pizza), (and more garlic!)but thats just my own taste/texture thing. Great mix of herbs in this Well laid out recipe, well explained, no steps missed or misunderstood. Used mild Italian, maybe should have kicked that up to hot, again, thats a personal taste thing, and certainly nothing against this recipe. Good post! Well worth the efforts!