Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
No cottage/ricotta cheese here! I don't like that stuff at all, so its gotta be omitted from my recipe! If you like it, just add it to your layers. The brands that I add are crucial to making this work. Don't use a Prego or Ragu (I have tried) it will change the taste all together!
- 64 ounces classico brand italian sausage spaghetti sauce
- 12 pieces no-boil lasagna noodles
- 5 mild Italian sausage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger meat
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons garlic, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- parsley (optional)
- Crumble sausage with casings removed in large skillet and cook until no pink remains.
- Drain sausage on paper towels.
- Crumble hamburger in same pan and cook until no pink remains and drain on paper towels.
- Cook onion and garlic in leftover grease from meats. and toss in meat and both jars of sauce.
- Stir together and let simmer while you assemble the pasta in pan.
- In 13 x 9 pan, place 3 noodles in bottom. Cover with sauce and cover with cheese. Repeat until you have 4 layers.
- Cover with remaining cheese and drizzle with olive oil and parsley.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350°.
- Remove foil and bake 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.
This is outstanding lasagna. My DH said it was the best lasagna I've ever made and I've made it using many different recipes over the years. I think he especially liked it because there is no ricotta or cottage cheese. He doesn't like it, either, and this is the first time I've made it without. I used sweet Italian sausage and lean ground beef. I did use the Classico brand of spaghetti sauce. My whole family raved about this lasagna. Thanks for sharing! Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2009.