Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 55 mins
Adapted from 1998 Taste of Home Annual Recipes
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cartons ricotta cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 package lasagna noodle, cooked,rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook sausage, beef, carrot, garlic and pepper flakes until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano, basil, salt and half the pepper.
- bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Combine ricotta cheese, 2/3 of the Parmesan, egg, parsley and remaining pepper.
- In a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish, layer a fourth of the noodles, a third of the ricotta mixture, a fourth of the meat sauce, and 1/4 of the mozzarella.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Top with the remaining noodles, sauce and Parmesan.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Used the recipe last night and everyone loved it! Even better, the sodium content is low enough to fit with my Father's diet, so I can make it again.
Tried this last night with my husband's mother and sister, they loved it! I will save this recipe to use again and again.