Recipe by sugarpea
Meat sauce, cheese sauce, noodles and barely a tomato to be found in this 9" x 13" lasagne. Total comfort food, limit: one per year.
Top Review by Mumma=^..^=
I found that 2.5 cups warm milk was way not enough liquid for a roux of 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup flour. And I'd grate the mozerella next time, the cubes simply didn't want to melt when stirred in. Overall the taste was quite good though, and my kids went back for seconds, just have to get the sauce liquid enough to soften that top noodle layer.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- salt and pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 8 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Meat Sauce: Cook bacon in a saucepan over medium heat until lightly browned; add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown.
- Add ground beef and cook until evenly browned; drain off any excess fat; stir in tomato paste, wine, stock and seasoning; cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30-40 minutes.
- Cheese Sauce: Heat milk and bay leaf in a small saucepan until just below boiling point; remove from heat and discard bay leaf; in a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk to roux and stir until thick and smooth; reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally; season and remove from heat.
- Add cheese and stir until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth; cover surface with plastic wrap if not using immediately.
- Lasagne: Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish or 3-quart oblong casserole dish.
- Cover bottom of baking pan with a layer of noodles;evenly spoon half of the Meat Sauce over them; cover with noodles; spread with half the Cheese Sauce.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the Cheese Sauce; sprinkle with the Parmesan and bake 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.