Recipe by Beaner in Washington
My friends and I got this recipe from an Italian cookbook that someone checked out at the library in Minnesota. So I do not know the name or the author of the book. It is a wonderful recipe, my family and friends just love it! I serve this with a tossed green salad and french bread and a nice merlot wine.
Top Review by Merlot
Ahhhh. A wonderful Lasagne recipe. This really hit the spot. I made this exactly as stated using freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I also used the full 1 tablespoon of salt (it was not too salty for my taste). Serve this with a nice glass of Merlot and you have heaven on earth. :-)
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt (I never add this much)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 (28 ounce) can red pear tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese (sliced or grated)
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté garlic, sugar, salt (I never use this much).
- Add Italian sausage, ground beef, cook until meat is brown and done.
- Add basil, fennel seeds, pepper, pear tomatoes, tomato paste.
- Cook until thick.
- Boil the 12 noodles and drain.
- Mix together ricotta cheese, egg, 2 tablespoons of parsley (if this mixture is too thick add a little milk).
- Layer sauce, 1/2 noodles, 1/2 of ricotta mixture, 1/2 mozzarella, sauce, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, noodles, ricotta mixture, mozzarella, sauce, and rest of parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes covered with foil, 25 minutes uncovered.
- Let set for about 10-15 minutes before cutting.