Recipe by duckit
The recipe was in a cook book from the 50's, I have changed it a little. My suggestion is to make it one day and serve it reheated the next, as with many dishes it is better the next day.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon basil (or more)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes (2cups)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 10 ounces lasagna noodles
- 3 cups cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat slowly; drain fat.
- Add next 5 ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook noodles in large amount boiling salted water till tender; drain;rinse.
- (don't over cook,they will cook another 30 minutes in oven).
- Combine remaining ingredients, except Mozzarella.
- Place a little sauce in the bottom of 9x13 pan and spread thinly over bottom (keeps it from sticking).
- Place a layer of noddles in bottom of pan spread with half the cottage cheese filling;add half the Mozzarella cheese and half the meat sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake at 375% about 30 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting in squares, filling will set slightly.