Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was my mom's recipe that I "enhanced" a little bit (by adding lots of cheese!) Everytime we have company, this is my go-to meal. Everyone raves about it, and it's not that hard. You can prep it a day ahead and keep it in the fridge, or even freeze it! Add a salad and some garlic bread...wow! If you use the No-Boil Lasagna Noodles, you will want to add all of the liquid from the diced tomatoes to make sure there is enough liquid to cook the noodles. If you boil the noodles ahead of time, you can use less liquid so the lasagna isn't runny in the end.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, drain but reserve juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles (You can boil ahead or use No-Boil noodles, see note in description)
- 8 ounces swiss cheese
- 12 ounces cottage cheese
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown and drain hamburger.
- Stir in tomato paste, diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles.
- In a 9X13 baking dish, layer noodles, cottage cheese, meat mixture, Swiss cheese, and Mozzarella. (You should make 3 complete layers ending with a generous helping of Mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese.).
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.